Vice President of Cyber Services| email@example.com
John Walp is Vice President of Cyber Services. He joined the team in 2017. He is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and a Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), and is Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC). He has more than 20 years of experience in information technology and security.
Previously, John was a Managing Director in the KPMG Forensic Technology practice. Prior to joining KPMG, John was the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) of M&T Bank, an $83 billion financial institution headquartered in Buffalo, New York, where he was responsible for forming and executing the overall strategy for Information Security, Data Protection and Privacy, which included a large focus on cyber security, intelligence gathering, and external and internal network security systems. In addition, he managed the functions of access and identity management, IT compliance, and risk management, as well as the PCI program.
John frequently presents cyber security and technology topics, and has held a variety of technology positions in different industry verticals, including Electronic Data Systems (EDS) and Moog Inc.
A veteran of the United States Air Force, John served for 22 years in both active and reserve service. In 2004, he was recalled to active duty and deployed to the State of Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. He was selected as part of an elite logistics cadre to aid in establishing the U.S. Central Command’s Deployment and Distribution Operations Center.
Achievements and awards:
- 2013 FBI National Cyber Security Executive Institute graduate which included a two-day classified briefing and session with former FBI Director Robert Mueller.
- RSA 2011 Security Conference Panelist on Banking Corporate Account Takeover Frauds.
- Member of FS/ISAC and selected to serve as the Chairperson for the Account Takeover Task Force Detection Subgroup which was formed in response to the first wave of banking account takeovers in 2010.
- 2009 Northeast Information Security Executive of the Year – awarded by industry peers and The Executive Network. Finalist for Information Security Executive of the Decade.
- Former member of the Enterprise Risk Committee for The Clearing House; a private sector, payments system organization that is responsible for performing approximately $2 trillion a day in clearing and settlement transactions for financial institutions.